This Fleetwood Touring Imperial Limousine is 1 of 757
Cadillac’s flagship Series 75 had a long and distinguished history. Cadillac’s full sized V8 cars spanning six decades were the Series 70 and Series 75 models. For 1941, the Series 75 was available as a sedan, Imperial Touring sedan, and a formal sedan body. There were a variety of body configurations from which to select and all wore Fleetwood nomenclature. Fleetwood was the in-house coachcrafter for Cadillac.
The Fleetwood Metal Body Company dates back to the early 1900s. The Company was formed in the UK then branched here in the USA in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania in 1905. Lawrence (Larry) Fisher of Fisher Body was so impressed with Fleetwood’s craftsmanship, that Cadillac purchased it in 1925 moving the sales and design offices to Detroit, Michigan near the Fisher Body plant.
The all-new 1941 Cadillacs genuinely established the brand as America’s ultimate automobile status symbol. All models featured the “torpedo” bodyshell that originated with the first Series Sixty-Special. It became more modern with its headlamps mounted inward rather than on the tops of the front fenders. It sported a horizontal egg-crate grille that many auto makers imitated. The shoulders were squared off with trailing edges. All emblems and trim were finished to jewel-like perfection. Available options for the Fleetwood Series 75 Touring Imperial sedan included: fender skirts, driving lights, mirrors, windshield washer, back-up lamps, radios, and the GM Hydra-Matic transmission. Hydra-Matic was the world’s first fully automatic transmission.
The Cadillac Series 75 was the long wheelbase limousine. The 1941 model #41-7533 Touring Imperial 7-passenger sedan rode on a 136” wheelbase. It was 226.1” in length. It was powered by Cadillac’s 346 CID 7.0 litre “L-Head” 8 cylinder engine. It had a cast iron block and head, three main bearings, and hydraulic lifters. A Stromberg AAV-26, Carter WDO506s carburetor was used. This engine produced 150 bhp @ 3,400 rpm. It had a selective synchro manual 3-speed column shift transmission. The rear was fitted with a Hotchkiss semi-floating axle with hypoid gears. Power hydraulic braking at all four wheels was standard. $3,295 went a long way in 1941, that was the base price of the Series 75 Touring Imperial. Only 757 of these were built.
The 1941 Fleetwood Series 75 Touring Imperial was a hand-crafted limousine built in the Cadillac tradition. The Series 75 was the marque’s flagship V8. In 1941 the short wheelbase Series 70 was replaced by the Series 62 and the long wheelbase Series 75 was integrated into the Fleetwood family. This was a most brilliant motor car for its day, and it, with others like it built the “Standard of the World” reputation in years to come for the Cadillac brand. This magnificent sedan is a highly sought collectible today as only 757 Touring Imperials were built. The Fleetwood Series 75 was the “Cadillac of Cadillacs.”
1941 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Touring Imperial limousine
1958 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75